We are temporarily closed due to COVID-19. When the time comes we will reopen at 4236 Williams Drive in Georgetown Please sign up for our newsletter at the bottom of the page for updates, the opportunity to receive discounts, entry in drawings for free classes and more.
This class 8 hour class is a compilation of techniques I have learned from a few talented metalsmiths and some I have added to optimize the creation of the these personalized rolling mill texture plates.
You will learn to do the following:
1) Create your own personal designs using Silhouette software and cutting machine with heavy duty vinyl. We will discuss your desired design prior to the class date so that we may determine the most suitable and determine the size plates needed. 4 plates per person. Varied sizes are available. If time permits you will be able to make additional plates for an additional fee. If you wish to bring your own creations used with Oracle 651 Vinyl please let me know and your fee will be adjusted.
2) Choose the best shape and prep your pieces of cold rolled steel to suit your designs.
3) Placement and fixture of the designs on the plate.
4) Prepare the etching container, pump, heat, and ingredients and etching environment.
5) Begin and monitor the etching process.
6) Clean up your designs and test them on a hand powered or electric rolling mill and copper sheet.
The Artisans' Workbench will provide all the supplies including chemicals, containers, pumps, heat, and safety gear needed for use in the workshop.
Workshop is $135.00 and payable here online to reserve your spot.. Also, there is an additional kit fee of $50.00 payable the day of class. The kit includes 4 steel plates in your choice of sizes, copper to test your designs, and the vinyl resist designs.If you have your own designs precut fro Oracle 651 Vinyl please call for a custom class cost.
Please check the size plates your personal rolling mill accommodates prior to class.
Wear closed toed shoes, keep long hair away from your face. No loose sleeves and bring eyewear if needed for close up work.
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to the workshop start time.
There will be a one hour break midway during class. You may bring your lunch, go out for a bite, or order in from several local restaurants that deliver.